[Oberon] ETH N-O Native/Beta directory display

Stefan Salewski Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de
Sun Aug 18 14:31:03 CEST 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:56:35 Charles Angelich wrote:

> Hello Chris -
>
> On further reflection and with more tweaking I think I've
> come up with a more satifisfactory solution to your request
> to sort Oberon directories using reverse order by date.

Hello Charles,

nice to see that you have overcome your problems with
mouse-buttons, narrow displays and few documentation of
ETH-Oberon.

A few words to your changes of System.Directory \d:
If System.List() is only called by System.Directory(), then it
will cause no trouble if you change it to your desire. But
Texts.WriteInt*() is used by many other Procedures! So your
changes will have system wide consequences. If you need these
changes, it may be better to make a copy of this Procedure (with
a new name) and call this modified copy from within List().

I think your solution can not be perfect with proportional
(kerned) fonts: I guess not all digits will have the same width.

Please keep in mind: Modifications in the code of an operating
system can have bad consequences. With ETH-Oberon it is not too
diffical to do such modificions, but before we can integrate a
modification in the next version (distribution), we have to be
very carefully.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski