[Oberon] System Freeze on module unloading

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Wed Aug 21 13:54:11 CEST 2002

Hi Frank,
>I believe the best way to solve the problem is to have a termination handler
>for each module.
It is no problem to implement a termination Handler, there is a mechanism
in Oberon for that, but:
A module does not trace the opened objects. It is THE advantage of
automatic garbage collection, that one does not have to dealloc (and
therefore trace) objects. (Maybe the system could check allocated memory ?
On the other hand: I want to be the boss of my computer: I say System.Free
and I want the system to execute System.Free unless there are very specific
reasons not to do, like depending modules. I do not accept depending
objects as a reason since there seems to be no way to check if displayed
objects depend on any of the freed objects. )

Felix.