[Oberon] n-o alpha 2001: please confirm/deny this bug

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 21 19:22:02 CEST 2002

cglur at onwe.co.za wrote:
> 1.  OFSTools.Mount <oldPartiton> AosFS  IDE<IdeNo>#<partnNo>  ~
>
> 2. System.Directory  <oldPartiton>:*
>
> 3. Select and open file ( < 1 screen viewer size)
>
> 4. cutNpaste viewer contents to <tempViewer>
>
> 5. Close viewer opened in 3.
>
> 6. OFSTools.Unmount <oldPartiton>
>
> 7. move or otherwise access <tempViewer>
>
> 8. Observer (or not):
> TRAP -14  NIL reference ( 0000006CH ) (PC Native 11.10.2001)

The problem is that you are unmounting a file system
containing files that are still referenced.

Because of the way the Oberon text system works, cutting
(deleting) and pasting (recalling) text does not make a
copy, but just creates another reference to the same
underlying text file (see Project Oberon).

Even if you copy the text (MR-MM or ML-MM interclick),
the same underlying file is still used.

The only solution I see is to copy the original text file to
another file system that will remain mounted, or to refrain
from unmounting the original file system.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/