[Oberon] System Freeze in Oberon System

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Thu Aug 22 19:38:31 CEST 2002

>Concerning state of the windows versions:
>the 'current version' 05/2001 is very unconfortable to use compared to
>12/2000
>because the new version of the 'Packages' module does not allow
>reinstallation
>of .oaf packages that are already registered in their current version,
>even in
>the case where small portion of the modules of the content of the package has
>been deleted. This is because packages do not check for consistency.
>Loss/deletion of a single file thus leads to major problems, often solved
>only
>be reinstallation of the whole system. For the 05/2001 version, this is
>a "killer bug" in my opinion, which makes it preferable to use the 12/2000
>version for development although several improvements could be found in
>05/2001, and for running of applications only, I prefer the latter one.
>Patrick

Did you also try Packages.Install with Parameter "\R-" which stands for
ignore registry entries. It should work, doesn't it ?
Try Packages.Install \R- yourpackage.oaf

I personally like the "new" Packages module, for example it provides a
mechanism for new destination directory creation if not exist. (a NEWDEST
keyword in the Makefike).
Are there more problems with the Windows-Version ?
Besides: I agree: packages should check for consistency. At the moment they
only check the registry entries which is painful...

Felix.
--

Felix Friedrich

Institut für Biomathematik und Biometrie
GSF - Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, GmbH
Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, D-85764 Neuherberg

Tel:      ++49 89 3187 2436
email:  friedrich at gsf.de