[Oberon] System Freeze in Oberon System

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 22 19:58:40 CEST 2002

Patrick.Hunziker at unibas.ch wrote:
> All versions of Windows Oberon including the current release from 05/2001 are
> shot down by this module:

Yes, this indeed seems to be a problem.  The Decoder shows that the
problem is that the copying of the value parameter in dosomething
is done from low memory to high memory.  In some circumstances this
can also cause a crash in Native Oberon and Aos.

A possible fix would be to do the copying in the other direction.
Compiler-Patrik, are you listening? :-)

> Concerning state of the windows versions:
> the 'current version' 05/2001 is very unconfortable to use compared to 12/2000
> because the new version of the 'Packages' module does not allow reinstallation
> of .oaf packages that are already registered in their current version, even in
> the case where small portion of the modules of the content of the package has
> been deleted.

I've also had problems with this on Windows Oberon, and had to mess around
in the Registry to work around it.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/