[Oberon] (no subject)

Greg Haynes haynes at pcisys.net
Sun Aug 25 05:58:41 CEST 2002

Frank van Riet wrote:

> 2) In developing large systems for different platforms, conditional
> definintions are a real life saver.
>         (e.g. (Borland?) Pascal's $IFDEF) I'm not sure if this is a language
> or an implementational issue,   although I suspect it is the former. Apart
> from having code for differing platforms. Conditionals will
>         get rid of the clutter of debugging code
>
>         CONST
>                 debug = TRUE;
>         ;;;
>         IF debug THEN ....
>
>         which is painfully inefficient.

For maintaining multiple versions of modules that have small variations,
the version elements in Linz Oberon V4 are excellent!  They don't
require the extraneous logic of conditional definitions, and in fact you
only see one version of the code at a time.  I highly recommend V4 for
anyone looking for a productive and reliable software development
environment with an easily customizable user interface.  It runs on
numerous platforms and applications are portable among them.  Even
though it is not really supported anymore, it has a lot of excellent
capabilities that you won't see in other systems and it retains much
of the simplicity of the original Oberon.

-Greg Haynes