[Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #57 - 10 msgs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Tue Aug 27 15:30:09 CEST 2002

>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:01:10 +0300
>From: "Yuri M. Skripkah" <yurix at i.com.ua>
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: [Oberon] screen scrolling and some idle talk
>
>Helo, All.
>
>Anybody know how to make horizontal and vertical scrolling
>for whole desktop(framebuffer)(for all TUI GUI Desktops) in n-o,
>as it is in X Window or some NT(tm) videodrivers? This may be useful
>for users with old monitors without affecting spirit of big screen.

Keeping menubars onscreen at 640x480 is the primary issue.  Word wrap
within the display is secondary but also something computer users
would expect.  Menu bars and text that run off-screen on the right is
not normal and not something than cannot be fixed.

The alternative is to admit defeat and no longer offer a 640x480 driver
option during the install.

>(* And in addition:
>Sorry, but mailing list content divided into two stream:
>a) ask about some definite topic and b) idle talk about marketing
>issues.
>IMHO for attracting new users ( if this goal is at all )
>is more better publish all documentation in one tree in Oberon site
>as html (most of potentially users have web-browser :)),than extend
>support for various mouses.
>Now part of documentation is on paper in books, part hidden in articles, part
>in ps files. It is in dependence with copyright, of course, but may be
>one source is possible?
>And other problem with documentation including in installation is it
intermediate level.
>It is not for full dummies, but not contain a lot of algorithmic
>grounds (source not give all grounds and not quite readable even by
>Oberon language ), especially in kernel.

If the documentation was intended to be used by the majority of computer users
it would have to be re-organized into novice, intermediate, and advanced
rather than combined into one document.  Not having 00INDEX.TXT files on
the FTP server doesn't help when Oberon is something new and downloading
needed files is not obvious.

>This make some difficulties for non-purposeful or busy user :( ,but:
>I think developers in ETH have not enough lifetime to
>support this users: it is their lifetime.*)

I've offered to help, the response was "Thanks but no".

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf