Re (5): [Oberon] Bug report: Character insert speed in Edit under 8.24 alpha NO

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 2 23:25:12 CEST 2002

pat at picoworks.com wrote:
> You are correct, it looks to be a problem with memory transfer
> speeds with the implementation of VESA on the display controller I'm using.

Does the K6 support write-combine caching?  The Bluebottle linear display
driver (AosDisplayLinear.Mod) enables write-combine caching on processors
that support it (using the MTTR registers).  It improves performance
significantly.

> On the other had TextDocs spends far less time in Display but is far more consistent
> with adding characters in the middle of the texts due to it's different architecture.

Did you find which display primitive is so slow (is it CopyBlock, or CopyPattern,
or ReplConst).  Does Edit (TextFrames) call this very often, and why?

> 	characters, total, time in Displays, Get, Set (the last two get and set are
> SYSTEM.MOVE instructions in the procedure Displays.Transfer

This seems to indicate CopyBlock.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/