Re (2): [Oberon] Homework on ZipTool (was Re: ZipTool1.Arc (Aug 5) can't handle DOS files ?)

pat at picoworks.com pat at picoworks.com
Tue Sep 3 20:10:55 CEST 2002

Ok, I perused the source code. This is the first time I've looked at the
compression routines so I'm not an expert. :-) (not even close).

1) ZipTool.(Directory | Extract | ExtractAll) do not require a .Zip extension.

2) define \level and \strategy
	compression level 0 - none, 1 - best speed, 9 best compression, default maps to 6.
	strategy (from Zlib.Mod)
	(** compression strategies; the strategy only affects the compression ratio
	but not the correctness of the compressed output even if it is not set appropriately **)
	DefaultStrategy* = 0;	(** for normal data **)
	Filtered* = 1;	(** for data produced by a filter (or predictor);
		filtered data consists mostly of small values with a
		somewhat random distribution. In this case, the compression algorithm
		is tuned to compress them better. The effect of Filtered is to force
		more Huffman coding and less string matching; it is somewhat intermediate
		between DefaultStrategy and HuffmanOnly. **)
	HuffmanOnly* = 2;	(** to force Huffman encoding only (no string match) **)

3) I don't understand the question. AddFile is for programs and Add is for users.
	Why shouldn't they both be exported?

4) non-consistent file name should give error and continue
	I take by this you may have consistent and non-consistent entries in the same zipfile
	and you would like to extract the consistent ones. Correct?
	Any reason you couldn't use "=>" to give it a consistent file name?

5) Add should follow Directory - Ok, This seem logical.

Pat