Re. [Oberon] Oberon FTP client

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Tue Sep 3 23:18:21 CEST 2002

Patrick wrote:
> Strangely, all Oberon clients (FTP.Mod, FTPDocs.Mod) available to me
>  (Windows Plugin Oberon 12/00 & 05/00, AosOberonSrc) work well if
> I access an Aos FTP Server or a Unix FTP server, suggesting that they
> correctly interpret RFCXXX.
> However, they both fail when I try to access Microsoft FTP Server
> (IIS 4.0, IIS 5.0).
> Is this a known incompatibility, and how to get around it ?

This is EXACTLY the impression I have from observations.
Microsoft doesn't NEED to observe the RFCXXXs.
And they offer ISPs "can't resist" arrangements.

A specific example:
  2 weeks back my ISP upgraded/merged and required users to change
<username> to <username>@ibi.co.za  for ppp connect.
I.e.  for ppp setup the username becomes <username>@ibi.co.za ?!?
Like having a name: "John Post Box 46".

Of course this is absurd, since "@" is a reserved token in this context,
and our n-o alpha 2001 uses this fact to parse an input.
Fortunately I'm able to 'drop back' to Ver 2.3.2 (199?) to connect to my
ISP, now.

Obviously the ISP tested their hack and it 'works' for the Microsoft masses.

What annoys me most is that it is politically incorrect to criticise
Microsoft in certain circles.

-- Chris Glur.