Re [Oberon] An Alternative to Microsoft Gains Support in High Places

Yuri M. Skripkah yurix at i.com.ua
Fri Sep 6 10:09:28 CEST 2002

Hello!,

You wrote 5 September 2002 y., 20:41:00:

cocz> The Russians have a 'smart-arse' attitude to life - "if it's not
cocz> expensive, it's not good"
???

cocz> Especially since it's so easy to make any character fonts, I imagine
cocz> that for any left to right script (arabic is right to left), a few scrap
cocz> PCs to some bright, keen Indian kids for experimenting with n-o
cocz> could escalate like a forrest fire.
I imagine what reimplementation of CHAR, scanner, and all code from
ASCII to Unicode (16 or 32?) is not so easy. I can't do this - not enough
knowledges, but anybody, who has ability, may be not has enough
lifetime?

cocz> Do any of us still remember the early PC revolution: wiring pcbs
cocz> and chips ?   Not the whole world is driven by the McDonald,
cocz> Microsoft, Disney model - yet.
Sure.

I have some talk with teachers in my city, they say: Oberon?
Oh,Pascal It's good,very good. But we study linux and really work
with windows - it's cheap ( thefted or donated-sic! ) and has really Cyrillic.
What I can say about?  ...
I think for successful Oberon and system promotion needed:
a)H&V scrolling whole virtual desktop(in tui,gui and desks) as in X-
this is strong for utilizing old monitors
b)support for modern integrated(and cheap) chipsets - n-o hardware is
unfortunate rare. Don't say about mice - tiresome, it's really cheap
with 3 buttons.
c)Support for unicode and keyboard switcher - without this only
Indians (state English) accepted it. And nothing is not lazy for
system programming. IMHO in n-o must be flat multilingual support not
two-paged NLS(as historically in unixes)

May be right way is commercial distributives? As linux?

--
Best regards,
 Yuri                          mailto:yurix at i.com.ua