[Oberon] Re: Strange morse code?

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Wed Sep 25 09:46:34 CEST 2002

Pieter wrote:
> Older versions of Native Oberon generate the morse code when an
> unrecoverable error occurs during booting.  The morse can actually
> provide useful information on the location of the error, but in later
> versions I removed this again, since very few people can decypher
> the code, and most people seem to be startled by it.
>
> The problem on the i486SX might be related to the lack of a coprocessor.
> Some versions of Native do not include the floating point emulator in
> the boot file.  Please try with the latest Alpha version downloadable
> at: ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Native/Update/Alpha/

My Compaq Conture Aero 4/33C (4Mbytes RAM) with no diskette
drive had no problem accepting native oberon DOSbased Ver 2.3.6.

It has many strange, undocumented facility as perhaps laptops do.
Also a 'compacted virtual disk'. For this reason I would not want to
repartition.  Also the post v236 versions' main benefit of multiple
partition is applicable for a 'work horse computer' not a laptop.

I loaded via the parallel port, via IOMEGA ZIP.
I made to batch files, to use either one of 2 'parameter' files at
start time: for either external mouse or internal 'thing', when the
external serial port was needed for the modem.

When I went on line, it crashed.
I initially though this was due to 4Mb RAM, until I realised that
the moden allocation is in Oberon.Text file, and when the modem is
called, a contention with the mouse occurs.

After patching this (apparently by making a separate 'virtual disk file'
with a suitable Oberon.Text ?) internet access was possible, using the
awkward built in mouse-thing.

As I remember the laptop has its own 'morse code repetoire'.

-- Chris Glur.