[Oberon] Multiple incompatibilities with ISPs

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Mon Sep 30 10:45:41 CEST 2002

That few readers/contributers to this forum actually use Sys3 to
access the internet is perhaps for good reason ?

NetSystem.Def expects the syntax:
     ":" ["//"] [ user [ ":" password ] "@" ] host [ "/" ].

So "@" is the delimiter between the 'user-token' and the 'host-token'.

When my ISP (apparently merged with another and) changed my
'user-token' to include the "@" char, this broke the expected syntax
for NetSystem.Mod.

Initially I suspected this to be another example of microsoft ignoring
the RFCs, which helps 'push non M$ users over the edge'.
A new/extra ISP now also has the "@" char in my computer derived
allocated user-name/user-token.

Also my new ISP is not compatible with TextMail.Mod's expectations
re. dialog for the  TextMail.Directory command.

I have patched several of my modules to work-around these problems.

So the existing S3 source code is incompatible with both of my ISPs.
This could be related to south africa degenerating to 4th world
standards, but could also be that our code doesn't comply with the
appropriate RFCs ?

I could investigate the RFCs, but am reluctant to do so, given my
perception of ETH's 'management policy': individuals hacking away
privately and submitting results without feedback/openness.

I propose an OPEN project be initated to fix these problems: several
persons looking into this matter.  This could allow the less adventutous
to also use Sysytem 3 for internet access.  No system can be considered
complete without internet access.   The whole beauty of the GUI is lost
if users have to change to another OS to do internet access.

Related to this is a (seldom occuring) problem that when a modem
connection is abnormally disconnected, the next time on-line needs
to pre-boot (or several strategically timed Crtl/break).   Apparently
the abnormally disconnection doesn't allow a required reset/initialise.
This symptom exists on Ver 2.3.2, 2.3.6, alpha 2001; and with different
modems.

-- Chris Glur.