[Oberon] Slim Binaries - what happened ?

Patrik Reali reali at acm.org
Sun Oct 13 21:58:30 CEST 2002

Sorry for the delayed answer.

> As far as I understand, OMI is now history and not implemented in the
> current ETH Oberon system, although it referenced heavily in the
> "Oberon Companion".

Correct.

(http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/compiler/)
> correct, I guess that OMI has never been updated to the "enhanced"
features
> Patrik Reali implemented. Is there any principle problem with that ?

OMI is a very interesting technology. I didn't integrate it into the new
compiler, because we did change the language many times and this required
some deep changes in the compiler: the OMI implementation we had (and still
have) was optimized for the OP2 parse tree to the extent that changing
anything in the parse tree or symbol table would break or cripple it, and it
should have been de-optimized first or even rewritten for the new parse
tree.

Anyway, this is still possible, and it would be interesting, to have
somebody take over the OMI code and adapt it to the extended symbol table
and parse tree used for active oberon.

-Patrik