[Oberon] Re: PAP and usernames with at

Edgar Schwarz edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Wed Oct 23 22:58:14 CEST 2002

Chris wrote:
 > Does this handle the case that your <loginName> is "big%dog" and
 > your <loginPassword> is "abc%123 at net" ?
 > Have you evidence that such <loginName>, <loginPassword> are not
 > possible/valid ?

In c.l.o at 12/10/02 I wrote (Perhaps you don't get all c.l.o posts)
 > PAP transmits it's user and password as a length byte followed by data.
 > There are no restrictions on the characters in username and password.
So the examples given by you are valid. NO PPP also doesn't care with
the exception of 0X which is used as string end marker.
The problem is just with the preceding step of setting these
parameters. So NetSystem.Setuser is perhaps not the best choice to use
for PAP user/password purposes.
Therefore I could create a PPPPAP.SetUser with the same syntax but
allowing more characters e.g. by escaping problem chars with %.
Or PPPPAP.SetUser pap:"big%dog":"abc%123 at net"@ChrisISP ~
If you think that's ok I would do that.
If not you can discuss this problem with the NetSystem maintainers
(ETHZ I suppose) which would mean that I don't have to do anything.
It's your choice because you are the only one with this problem at
the moment.

Cheers, Edgar