[Oberon] V24 - Serial comms.

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Fri Dec 20 13:11:42 CET 2002

Peter Easthope wrote:
> In essence I am doing the same except that the
> DIAL script initializes the modem, dials and
> passes authentication.  The problem is to
> have V24.Panel take over from the DIAL script.
>
> Seems the last command of the script should
> close the serial port so that V24 can open
> it.  Should look for a Close command in
> Dialer.Mod ...

Dialer.Hangup calls Dialer.Hang which messes with the DTR line.
So you go down to hardware level.
Where you perhaps don't want to go ?

Landing and taking-off are the most error prone stages of flying.
Instead of landing, transfering and taking off, you can just 'fly
straight through to your destination' - and crash when you have finished !

Ie. working with your own code using only V24, instead of going in and
out of the existing Dialer might be simpler.   The act of 'handing over'
is perhaps complicated by hardare handshakes and who talks/listens first.
Ie. starting from a well defined 'reset condition' is easier than 'transfering'.

As a further example of:
  1. hidden complications with hardware, difficult to detect and fix,
  2. need to resist individuals hacking privately instead of
       'contributing';

n-o 2001 beta (and I suspect other versions) hangs if my ISP cuts
off prematuredly: subsequent attempt to dial & ppp fail.

With several attemps at  <Crtl><Break> immediately after I retry
to dial/ppp I eventually manage to unlock the situation and don't
need to reboot.

I guess some critical task is halted by <Crtl><Break>, which allows the
'system' to fall into a state from where it is 'unlocked' and can proceed.

You don't want to encourage such problems.

-- Chris Glur.

PS. Perhaps the sequence of strings to dial and connect can be
pasted to the V24.Panel in one action.

{My pixel resolution shows only right-wards up to the [ESC] button
when using the User-track. And there is no hint that there is more
important stuff hidden. }

Columbus.Inspect ~
  shows that one of the [PF*] buttons does:
    V24Gadgets.Send V24  "\e[P"   ~

So I'm guessing that you could:
1. start and connect V24.Panel,
2. execute simple code which does:
    V24Gadgets.Send V24  "ATZ <perhaps also CR>
     some appropriate wait  {or just extract the code from the Dialer ?}
    V24Gadgets.Send V24  "<ATD your dialing etc...>
3. continue to use V24.Panel manually.

You might even be able achieve dialing from the 4 [PF*] buttons.
Or I think V24.Panel has facilities to pre-set a script of outputs.

In all these cases you start and complete using only the V24.Panel, instead
of trying to 'transfer' from the Dialer.