[Oberon] V24 - Serial comms & etc.

Peter Easthope peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Mon Dec 23 19:38:21 CET 2002

Chris,

C.G. via oberon at inf.ethz.ch writes:
>... V24.Text ...

Extant or hypothetical?

cg>
>(* I've just seen a lot of text which I have accumulated from
>my own analyses of V24.Panel. eg. Columbus.Inspect reveals
>    PF1 : Cmd = V24Gadgets.Send V24  "\e[P"   ~
>     no Links  { \n = CR }
>As usual n-o has powerful undocumented facilities.

V24.Panel appears to emulate an old DEC
VT100 or similar model.  A manual for such
a terminal might explain the PF keys.  Might
be on the Web somewhere.

cg>
> ...the flipable-button can send your pre-loaded file
>P4k.Bin ...etc.

According to the Oberon principles of uniformity
and consistency and by analogy to startup of PPP,
invocation of V24.Panel by the CALL command in
the dial script would also be plausible.

cg>
> I think the modem only knows how to transmit and
>receive bits ?  It does not know about about PAP, nor even PPP ?

True.

The system here has an external modem.  The
speed capability of the serial ports on computer
and modem are an issue.  If the interface speed
is set too high (Init = { COM1 38400 } ) communication
fails.  It the interface speed is set too slow it
is a bottleneck.  Some old ISA bus serial ports
were amazingly slow.  (Eg. one which works
with a 14400 modem only if the interface speed
is limited to 9600 b/s!)  In case anyone is interested
modems are discussed at length in files available
from http://kermit.columbia.edu/.  Eg. KERMIT.BWR
in the DOS Kermit distribution.

cg>
>I (one of the few remaining n-o internet connectors)
>had 'special' help from Edgar Schwarz who knows all
>about: V24 -> modem -> dial -> PAP/PPP; to set up
>my PAP/PPP.

Yes.  Long ago Edgar also made a small change in
PPP to accomodate an idosyncracy of the Vicom server.
Since then another problem has appeared.  Edgar
is busy now and I need to learn about PPP and PAP.

cg>
>Do you know how to 'handle' the login -> PAP/PPP
>transfer, manually via the V24.Panel ?  I'd like to
>know - without analysing the existing n-o code.

No idea.  Sorry.

cg>
>I think the 'procedure' of how to use V24.Panel to
>manually develop/test/modify the
>         V24 -> modem -> dial -> PAP/PPP
>process, should be documented and made available.

Another topic for Andre Fisher's "to do" list.

Regards,        Peter E.