[Oberon] Win32 Plugin Oberon

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Mon Feb 24 18:16:01 CET 2003

Hi everybody,

(I wrote:)
>I am currently preparing a new Plugin Version with the recent AOS
>Compiler. I will try to get active Objects running under Windows but do
>not yet know if I will be successfull. The recent compiler is already
>running on my PluginOberon but there still are some service routines
>missinng. I will try to get some overview today/ weekend and will report
>about the status on Monday. I have also been looking at the AosIO ... XML
>Modules and think it will be difficult to get it portably running without
>a full support of (really) Active Objects support. (Mainly, as you have
>written, in cause of AosFS).
>I do not have a clear overview, still some chaos in my head, so this is to
>be considered not as an assurance but merely as vague idea. More latest on
>monday.

I did not have enough time to do the whole job during the weekend and am
still working on a new version. The current status is: I removed the
dependency of the Windows-Registry and unified some of the modules with the
current Bluebottle system. Mainly about 30 Windows-specific Modules have
been left over and will be part of the core of the new PluginOberon variant.

Are there any concerns about removing the Registry from Oberon ? (I will
leave the possibility to read and write registry-Entries for compatibility
with older versions but remove the taking the Registry as configuration
source. Instead it will be exactly done like in Linux-Oberon and native
/  Bluebottle with a file "Oberon.Text". The name "Oberon.Text" can be
replaced by any other by a command switch).

Are there any requests for certain capabilities of  the new PluginOberon
system ? For example: I like the Linux-TextGadgets(0) Interaction by Günter
Feldmann with it's cute scroll bars very much.

Will be on a Workshop rest of this week and continue working on Oberon
there but probably with no internet connection.

Still, one thing remains to be said: Emil Zeller did an extremely good job
with the Implementation of the PlugInOberon System and I am not going to
adorn myself with borrowed plums. I do not have in mind to exchange or
improve the whole system but only want to harmonize it with the recent
Bluebottle/Native/Linux Version.

Cheers, Felix.

PS: When the system runs flawlessly, I will try out the  the recent XML and
webDAV and give you some feedback, John and Edgar.

Felix Friedrich

Institut für Biomathematik und Biometrie
GSF - Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, GmbH
Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, D-85764 Neuherberg

Tel:      ++49 89 3187 2436
email:  friedrich at gsf.de