Re (2): [Oberon] PPP & multi-tasking/initialising

eas-lab at absamail.co.za eas-lab at absamail.co.za
Wed Feb 26 17:19:35 CET 2003

cg> What are the multi-tasking implications ?

Peter Easthope wrote:-
> PPP runs in the background and should be
> available to any task that needs it.  Of
> course, in Oberon, there is only one
> forground task at any time as I understand.
>
> Example: send a message with the mail panel.
> When that is finished, open an "http://...".
> These two user tasks invoke the same
> instance of PPP at consecutive times.
> All PPP knows is that various packets
> are moving to and fro.

Up to V2.3.6 the PPP was 'removed' (together with the dialer)
when the dial up session was completed.
Perhaps now the designer(s) want to cater for 'persisitent connections' ?
This would allow the error of PPP 'not resetting' to show.
Previously the 'PPP.Stop' for dial-up termination, forced a clean-up.

cg> So System.ShowTasks shows that NetSystem is still running after the
ISP session is finished.

> Does that mean that the module remains
> loaded or that PPP remains operational
> in the background?  Sorry I can't answer.

Good question !  How does the whole business of loading and/or
being in the running-task-circle/list work ?
This relates to an earlier remark of mine re. 'insider information':
 "hello world" and it's extensions is one thing, but there comes a
time when you have to 'open up the engine' and consider the
OS and even get down to machine code and hardware.

cg> I'd be interested to know how later versions are.
Does System.ShowTasks show NetSystem still installed after the
ISP session is completed ?

Will test from home at the weekend if I remember.

-- Chris Glur.