[Oberon] Re: AW: bluebottle boot-floppy-disk

Pieter Muller pieter.muller at alumni.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 25 20:24:23 CET 2003

Christoph Stamm wrote:

>Thanks for your answers. There are still some problems:
>
>When I'm using Partitions.UpdateBootFile bluebottle returns: Diskette0#0
>is not Oberon-formatted, update unsuccessful.
>
>How do I create an Oberon-formatted diskette?

See Partitions.Tool

Partitions.Format dev#part [ AosFS|NatFS [ FSRes [ Native.Bin ] ] ] ~

Aos.Tool has an example:

Partitions.Format SYS:AosCD.Dsk#0 AosFS 700 AOS:AosCD.Bin ~ (boot file
reserve size must be multiple of 4)

This is formatting a virtual disk.  Replace SYS:AosCD.Dsk#0 with
"Diskette0#0" to format a diskette.  AOS:AosCD.Bin is the boot file.

>These two steps don't help.
>1. Backup.Format\H (is not implemented in bluebottle, I'm using native
>oberon)
>2. With Backup.InitOberon Label

This formats a "Backup" disk, which is not bootable.

>At the moment I'm booting bluebottle from a CD. Is it possible to use
>the CD to boot and then to run the version installed on my disk
>(CD-usage instead of floppy-usage for booting purposes)?

Yes.  The commands under the heading "-- Installation image for bootable
CD --" in Aos.Tool shows how the CD image is generated.  The
Partitions.SetConfig command at the end contains BootVol definitions
that specify volumes to be mounted at boot time.  You could create a
boot CD that additionally mounts a hard disk partition.  Booting from a
floppy might be simpler, since it is possible to write a boot floppy
from within Aos.

oberon at inf.ethz.ch

subscription information.

cheers