Re (2): [Oberon] Unicode

Thomas Frey frey at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Apr 13 19:50:52 CEST 2003

> According to http://www.unicode.org/, UTF-8, UTF-16
> and UTF-32 are equally acceptable.  Whichever
> encoding is employed, it will allow much wider and
> more efficient use of Oberon/AOS.
>
> Time consuming as implementation of UCS support may
> be, think of the time now spent grappling with
> non-roman characters.
Yes. We are considering this. The problem is not the encoding,
it is the input methods. It is not to easy to fit Chinese input methods
into the existing editors, because they are not intended to. The
new editor is being written with foreign input methods in mind.
The new text system can handle UTF-8 and UTF-32. The internal
representation is UTF-32.

--Thomas