[Oberon] Re: Top posting

Pieter Muller pieter.muller at alumni.ethz.ch
Sun May 4 12:37:25 CEST 2003

Hi Peter

I think "top posting" refers to the practice of posting a reply to a
message above the quoted text (like here), instead of inline.  This is a
common practice in environments where emails are often forwarded to
other persons in "mid-conversation", to retain the full history of
replies.  It is less desirable in a mailing list, where all messages are
archived anyway, and letting messages grow is more wasteful.

There are arguments for and against this practice, but a discussion of
this is definitely off-topic for this list.

cheers
-- Pieter