[Oberon] copying failed

Thomas Frey frey at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 8 20:57:29 CEST 2003

> I can move files to/from this partition in Linux, and in BlueBottle I
> can read files
> off of this partition (after it is mounted, of course).  However, when I
> try to write
> from my AOS partition into my DOS partition in BlueBottle using
>    System.CopyFiles AOS:file.name => DOS:file.name ~
> I get the error message:
>    AOS:file.name => DOS:file.name  copying failed
>
> Any ideas on what is wrong?

Maybe the FAT32 file system has the "cleanly unmounted" flag not set.
This can happen if the system crashed before.  I don't know if Linux
will set the flag, or if it just ignores it.
Check the kernel log for suspicious messages like "mounted read-only".
In this case you could force Bluebottle to mount the partition as r/w,
using ",X" at the end of the mount command. This will then ignore the
flag. If cleanly unmounted, the flag will be restored, so the next mount
should work, even without the ,X .

The safe way would be to run a scavenger like scandisk. The Bb scavenger
is work in progress, not to be expected before the 31.12.03 release ;-)

--Thomas