[Oberon] aos, n-o, XML, V4-folding ? WinAos WebDAV

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Tue Nov 18 04:03:32 CET 2003

John Drake wrote:-
> I agree.  The UI for AOS is built on XML.  Yes
> there is still an "Oberon compatibility mode"
> also.  Unfortunately the UI for AOS hasn't been
> finalized yet (at least not that I can tell).
> There is work yet to be done.
>
> Beyond that I would say that XML is essential
> because it opens up so many other possiblities
> like WebDAV and XMLRPC.  Also it would be
> possible for someone to write a Jabber client
> for Oberon and that would allow someone to use
> instant messaging from Oberon and connect to
> AIM, Yahoo IM or MSN IM.

Sounds interesting, except that I can't use most of the existing
n-o applications. I shouldn't have to research before usage.

> > > Q2.  Is  AOS usable yet ?
> > >    eg. post and fetch email and news.
> > If you want your AOS PPP connection to run for long
> > times the answer for you is no.
> > Because for my purposes I didn't invest more time
> > when AOS PPP was finally
> > running.
>
> In other words the AOS PPP module is buggy?
>
> > And now I use DSL.
>
> How do you connect to DSL throw AOS?  Are you using
> a USB connection, or a connection from an ethernet
> card?

> > But I finally found time to package a first WebDAV
> > client for WinAos after fixing
> > some small problems.
> > "http://webdav.ethz.ch/davzip/WinAosDAV.1.3.2.zip"
> > (104KB)
> > So I will have a look at the NO client problem now.
> >
> > > Q3. The description of V4's 'folding' facility
> > sounds powerfull
> > Gadgets also has some folding capability with
> > Outline gadgets.
> > I sometimes put documentation in the source code
> > hidden in outlines.
> > But V4 may be more powerful.

Wow ! This is fantastic.
I've previously accused 'senior members' of 'hiding
their special development tools under the table'.
This is an example of what I meant.
I expect Outlines.Tool to make development much easier.
Accordingly, I've now drastically changed my working style:
  reduced Desktops NamePlateWidth by 10 so that I can
   access the [Store] button in the UserPanel mode.
 A main reason for not using Desktops.OpenDoc under ver-2001
was that for VGA the [Store] button was inaccessible.

> The V4 (and BlackBox) folding mechanism is more
> powerful than System 3 outlines.  Outlines simply
> let you "collapse" text.  Folds actually "toggle"
> between two texts.  One way I've seen this used
> is a type of "literate programming" scheme where
> "folded text" shows long comments and "unfolded
> text" shows program code.

I think I'd want to see the code and comments at the same time ?
Linux switching between VTs where you have to keep one (or more)
in your mind is not satisfactory.

== Chris Glur.