[Oberon] Re. What does Char(hexA7) look like ?

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 23:40:50 CET 2003

--- easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:

> Desktops.OpenDoc  specialchar.gif  == Yes, that
> looks good.
> Great, Thanks !

You're welcome.

> Yes indeed; I can't see char(A7) now/yet on my n-o
> (ver 2001)
> 'work-horse'.   So I will include it into my
> updat(ing) Oberon10.Scn.Fnt
> char-set, which is renamed, for safety.
> -------------
> Thus:-
> PictConverters.GIFToPict specialchar.gif  =>
> CharA7.Pict ~
> Desktops.OpenDoc  CharA7.Pict ~ == CAN expand to see
> pixels.
>    == 10 high, 5 wide

I was able to view the character under Oberon
without having to first convert it to a Pict.
However in further experimentation I've noticed
that a monochrome .BMP file works better than
a .GIF.  I'll explain further in the post.

> Where did you get it ?
> Did you draw it manually, or 'pick it up' some where
> ?
> If you can 'pick-up' and post the other missing
> ones, it can save us
>  some manual work/guessing.

I followed Dougs lead of pasting it to BlackBox.
Then I was able to copy and paste the character
to MS-Paint.  For some out reason I was not able
to paste it directly from my email to Paint.
(I'm using Yahoo web mail under the Opera
browser).

> Desktops.OpenDoc  FontEditor.Panel
> [Load] OB2ULINE.Scn.Fnt ~
> [A7] == see 'blank template
> Set [Metric] = red: left & 1 pixel both sides of
> edge-lines.
>    Based on the appearance of "p", lets put 3 pixel
> below the line.
>
> Try to select-and-move the received bit-map into the
>
> blank A7 bit map of the FontEditor.Panel .
>
> In this particular case the received char(A7) is
> reverse-video
> (came about during *.gif  => *.Pict transformation
> ?) so
> we can't use it immediately.

I had this same problem when I copied the .gif
image directly to the font edit window.  But
I did not have this problem when I used a
monochrome bitmap.

> Also it is rather
> difficult to
> position the received bit-map in the
> FontEditor.Panel's destination
> frame.  But if several chars are to be transfered,
> it is worth taking
> time/effort it set up a 'production-flow-line'.
>
> PS. It is counter intuitive that
>  Script.ChangeFont OB2ULINE.Scn.Fnt <selected text
> stretch>
> won't 'show' the update ?! Altho:
> FontEditor.Panel > [Load] OB2ULINE.Scn.Fnt > [A7]
> does.

Well it seems that while the "FontEditor" panel
can see your changes immediately, you have to
restart Oberon to see the changes in general.
At least that's what my experimentation shows.
Perhaps someone on this list can tell us the
"easy" way to reload fonts.  After all I used
to think I had to restart Oberon every time I
recompiled a module.  ;)

> Considering how this trivial task fits into the
> BIGGER picture of
> n-o/Aos collaboration:
>
> Q1.  Can WebDAV store/handle binary updates ?

I would say yes since WebDAV can handle Oberon
"Text" files and those contain binary data also.

> Q2.  When I last looked at Edgar's WebDAV, it seemed
> to have
>     many more directories than the time before. This
> suggested
>    that collaborators have been contributing.
>    If so who is going to write the first most basic
> WebDAV HOW2 ?

Glad to see other people are using it.  I'd love to
write one once I get some of my own "pending
projects" under control. :)

And thanks for bringing up FontEditor again.  It's
been a while since I played with it.  I've learned
(or remembered?) a few things.  For instance every
time I did a new charecter (like A7) and tried to
display it using ASCIITab I kept getting "empty
boxes" inserted.  After re-reading the docs I
realized I needed to adjust the "metric" lines.
Perhaps we can pull all of the old posts on using
the FontEditor into a "HOW-TO" also.

Regards,

John M. Drake