[Oberon] n-o: timer-reset chit-chat

Samps samps at redjocks.com
Wed Oct 15 11:44:25 CEST 2003

easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:

>The lack of these types of simple 'Howtos' for would be new users
>is one reason why n-o usage will never grow.
>
>One reason is the academic snobbery, that Howtos are for the gutter.

Thanks for the rant. I always appreciate a well written word-flood.

You're right. Without Howto's Oberon will never make it outside academic
circles.
Whilst the concepts behind, and the obvious behaviour of Oberon, is
easily grasped as an academic exercise, the use of it as a practical
tool is, at best, a pipedream. Too bad.

Propagating Oberon in public space requires some attach antles that can
be exploited for those who don't want to read up on all the history of
programming, OO and OSs. An easy to grasp intro to Oberon, an enhanced
'Hello World' example.

This propagation is important, toOberon as well as the academic
environment surrounding it, to get fresh views oon old problems,
introduce diversity and facilitate growing a community around the
language, without which it will inevidatably share the faith of the 95%
of languages created during the last twenty years.

sorry 'bout that

Samps