[Oberon] Text search is THE main task.

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 15:34:58 CEST 2004

--- easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:
> Who needs pre-emptive multitasking except for
> real-time control
> systems ?

What does that question have to do with
text searching?  If you don't want to use Bluebottle,
then don't.  No one's twisting your arm.  But I
need to also point out that the pre-emptive
mutltitasking system is also the basis of Bluebottles
support for multi-processor machines.  So anyone
with a dual processor machine can benifit
regardless of whether they're doing a "real-time
control system".

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.oberon
> Subject: Re: Questions from Unix world...
>
> > WLad  wrote:
> > > Dear colleague!
> > >
> > > I show Aos to one Plan9 programmer.
> > > He asked some questions:
> > >
> > >  > in Oberon/bluebottle, do we have
> > >  > 1. something like 'grep' to search regular
> expressions (or the like)
> > >  within textfiles;
> >
> (jmdrake) wrote:
> > Yes.  There is a package called "RX" that comes
> with Oberon System 3, NO
> > and BlueBottle.  See:
> >
> > http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/software/RX.html
> >
> > Also there is another regular expressions package
> called "Regul".
> >
> > http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/software/Regul.html
> >
> I was persuaded to fetch this, because I didn't
> realise that it
> couldn't do [as described below] what is needed.
> It's a monster, because it is part of the meta
> compiler: Bable;
> and needs several other packages.  You must buy the
> complete
> automobile if you want to test the cigarette lighter
> !

So did you try RX?  That's the package I was
"describing".  Regul is simply another regular
expressions package.  I think Regul has some
nice features and is much better than what you've
described, but you're entitled to your opinion.
Anyway if you look in RX.Tool you will see that
RX has a "Grep" command.  As it is designed it
will allow you to return all of the lines from
a particular file that fits a search pattern.
It would be trivial to extend it to search
mulitple files.

One more thing.  In the future could you PLEASE
refrain from responding to a post I make on
comp.lang.oberon BOTH on the mailing list
AND in comp.lang.oberon?  Pick one or the other.
It is HIGHLY IRRITATING for me to need to
respond to the same post on two different
lists!  You've done this several times now.

Regards,

John M. Drake