[Oberon] Oberon XML database and webforum

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 06:02:21 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I've been experimenting some lately with the XML
object oriented database that comes with BlueBottle.
This seems to be the "best kept secret" of the
new operating system.  I'm not proficient enough
with it yet to create my own databases, but I
can "play" with the examples used.  This database,
called a "Prevalence System" (not sure what that
means) is used for one of two web "plugins" that
come with BlueBottle.  One plugin servers SSMP
pages (i.e.
http://bluebottle.ethz.ch/http/serverstate.ssmp).
The other servers DXP pages.  For documentation
see the file DynamicWebPagePlugin.Text.  (Note,
this was missing from the WinAOS distribution,
but I copied it from the BlueBottle "crazy
fresh" distribution.  All of the needed modules
for DXP comes with WinAOS however.)

Anyway the prevalence system stores information
like webcounter objects and forum posts to
an XML file.  Actually it uses two files, a
"snapshot" file and a "log" file.  (There
seems to be some sort of transaction mechanism.)

There is a built in "bug/feature" tracking forum
example that I played with.  There also seems to
be some sort of "ExerciseGroup" example, but the
associated DXP file is missing, and I can't
figure out how to make it work.

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone else
has been doing something with this capability.

Regards,

John M. Drake