[Oberon] Re: %XX/W3C-encoding not applicable to ISP login

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Sat Jan 8 17:56:06 CET 2005

John M. Drake wrote:-
> One more time, you can escape the string
> for "NetSystem.SetUser" then include a
> command to unescape it INSIDE the
> NetSystem.SetUser procedure.

So it is/was clear to you what my misunderstanding was ?

Right from the beginning I hacked:-
foo at bar
Do(char)
foo$bar
IF char="$" THEN do("@") ELSE Do(char)

But I never though of this as 'escaping/encoding the "@";
although effectively that's what it does.

> Then it
> doesn't matter what special charecter
> your goofy ISP throws in your userID.

Except "%"

> Also it doesn't matter whether or not
> your ISP unescapes your code, because
> NetSystem will have already done
> it.

No ! The ISP doesn't even see "%40".
So the very concept of 'escaping' [outside of the
n-o client] is inapplicable.
The 'translation/disguise' is only internal to n-o.
The whole mention of 'escaping' is inappropriate
and misleading.

> You've got the source code.  The
> fix you needed was posted over 2 years
> ago.  If you want to argue about it
> you'll have to do that by yourself.

Thanks, it's a bit more complicated:
Ver-2001 was patched 'from the beginning'.
Now I need to somethimes email from a portable
machine, and I don't want to repartition my note-book.
So I want to use my DOSBased V2.3.6. n-o, which has a
different syntax to Ver-2001 re. ppp arguments.

Your mention of "NetSystem.SetUser" helped me go directly
to my previous patch, and applying it to V2.3.2 [which source
I have]  which enabled login for DOSBased V2.3.6.
NewsArticles fetch tested OK.

Unfortunately there's still a 'wrong password' error when I
try to :
    TextMail.Directory

I don't intend to do a research project, each time I change my
ISP-userID, and I'm reminded/confirmed that I don't want
to open Blue-bottle as another can of worms.

== Chris Glur.