[Oberon] Re: %XX/W3C-encoding not applicable to ISP login

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 23:04:09 CET 2005

--- easlab at absamail.co.za wrote:

> No ! The ISP doesn't even see "%40".
> So the very concept of 'escaping' [outside of the
> n-o client] is inapplicable.
> The 'translation/disguise' is only internal to n-o.
> The whole mention of 'escaping' is inappropriate
> and misleading.

I not sure you're understanding me.

Ok, I'll try and explain again.

Step 1: Change NetSystem.SetUser to "unescape" any
time it sees "%".

Step 2: Use the "Escape" program to replace all
occurences of @ with %40.

So then, NetSystem.SetUser will get the string with
"%40" in it, but then make it a string with "@" in
it BEFORE PPP sends it to your ISP.

Alternatively you can change the code of PPP
to use another mechanism for setting the user
name and password.  I can't help you there as
I don't use the NO PPP.  But perhaps that's
the best longterm solution.

> Thanks, it's a bit more complicated:
> Ver-2001 was patched 'from the beginning'.
> Now I need to somethimes email from a portable
> machine, and I don't want to repartition my
> note-book.
> So I want to use my DOSBased V2.3.6. n-o, which has
> different syntax to Ver-2001 re. ppp arguments.

So what syntax does DOSBased NO use for setting
the user id and password?

> Your mention of "NetSystem.SetUser" helped me go
> directly
> to my previous patch, and applying it to V2.3.2
> [which source
> I have]  which enabled login for DOSBased V2.3.6.
> NewsArticles fetch tested OK.

Do you have the source for DOSBased NO?

Regards,

John M. Drake