[Oberon] Re: Oberon Digest, Vol 16, Issue 5

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 00:09:18 CET 2005

--- Soren Renner <srenner at mail.ru> wrote:

> > Personal rant here.  While I'm still a fan of
> > original Oberon "tiled viewers" I'm beginning to
> > be weary (wary?) of the corded mouse setup.
>
> CHORDED mouse. Think of a piano. Mouse CHORDS ==
> interclicks. Corded mice have cords.

Forgive my butchering of my native tounge. :)

> That's most
> mice, but not an interface issue. While I am on this
> subject. let me mention that: the Xmas Bluebottle
> release is beautiful, but I would LIKE the mouse
> chords (interclicks) to COME BACK, that is, for
> interclicks to work in the
> non-embedded-Oberon-window part of Bluebottle,
> because while I continue to use Oberon as my
> Bluebottle IDE, I can see that it would be fun to
> move to using a native Bluebottle dev environment,
> and without mouse interclicks such a move is almost
> unthinkable.

I like mouse chords too, I just got burned a few
times when I was doing something critical.  If
V4 was like System 3 with a "RecallText" command
I'd be ok.  And I agree with you that having
a full "chorded" system in BlueBottle proper
would be nice.  Ok, here's my personal request.
Have the "Oberon" window start up in "TextDocs"
rather than "TextFrames".  That way nice
features like "TextPopups" work right off.
(As it stands the Oberon window "traps" when
it opens because it's trying to load TextPopups
which TextFrames can't handle).

> Here is another idea: could Bluebottle be LNO-ized?
> So that a Bluebottle installation could run on a
> Linux box? Then it would be easy to release one of
> my amazing fractal-voxel-thingy demos for Linux. Not
> that it would be difficult to port to LNO itself --
> I would just have to rewrite some code. But I really
> like the Active Oberon features.

A few others have been mentioning that (ALNO).  We
need 1to make it a project. :) On the flipside I
have gotten AOS to run under qemu (Windows version).
That will at least get demos running, though
admittedly it's not a perfect solution.

> Here is another idea: embed the fractal-voxel-thingy
> renderer IN BLUEBOTTLE. Not for a large, extremely
> slow raytraced desktop and window system: no, only
> for small, extremely fast raytraced icons / buttons/
> border elements/ decorations/ skin components.
>
> Look at it like this: on the one hand, we have what
> is clearly the best OS and language project in the
> world*1, yet almost noone will pay any attention to
> it. On the other hand, we have the first fruits of a
> new approach to 3d realtime rendering, yet EVEN
> FEWER people will pay any attention to it*2. Perhaps
> by multiplicatively leveraging these two obscurities
> we can break through to the other side. All that
> would be required is that there be a really nice
> demo (but the Sierpinski flythrough was probably
> almost good enough: some of you must remember it)
> and that it be in a form that dozens, hundreds, or
> thousands of interested parties (programmers,
> mostly) ACTUALLY SEE.
>
> Perhaps someone on this list could take a demo that
> I write and port it to WinAOS.

It compiles and runs under WinAOS without complaint.
It runs slightly faster "natively" though.

> Could it be
> distributed then as a single executable file
> (standing alone?)

Haven't got a clue as to how to compile a
standalone executable from WinAOS.  There are
some instructions for making a standalone Windows
System 3 executable and maybe these apply.

> Is anybody interested in the voxel-renderer for
> skinning Bluebottle?

Sounds interesting.

Regards,

John M. Drake