[Oberon] Request for Specs

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 06:16:04 CET 2005

--- Soren Renner <srenner at mail.ru> wrote:

> hail to all
> i have been doing a few little things to the
> renderer. minor things, but they make a difference:
> the mousewheel now works for navigation, and a new
> diffuse shader looks really good. i'll send round a
> new demo soon. what i would like to know: who are
> you that run bluebottle, and especially, how fast
> are your machines? because the dev box is fairly
> fast (1.7 ghz athlon supposedly equivalent to a 2.1
> ghz intel chip), and you would want something at
> least this fast. especially you, mr drake, how fast
> is your best bluebottle box? will you chip in on a
> networked game? i'd lean toward a navigable puzzle.
> a simple shooter would work but maybe not a "twitch"
> shooter as the framerate isn't twitchy-fast.
> i saw a game called xwelltris on linux that inspired
> me this week.
> oh, i don't have sound working, i should try it.
> does anybody have a half height sound card that'll
> work? i'll take it by mail without complaint.
>

> "now is the next time, now
> sing, melismatic automaton
> in microtonal diapason"
> [from 'sloot', trans. Emmet Silverman]
>
> sr

I'm running a 1.5 Ghz P III and a 2.0 Ghz P IV.
I also have a 450 Ghz AMD K6, but that doesn't
get much use these days.  Both of my high end
machines are several years old, so I think your
dev box is a reasonable target spec.

I'd be happy to help on a networked game.  As
someone mentioned earlier it would be nice to
have some type of tutorial on how to build
simple voxel worlds.  The framerate on your
first demo is between 5 and 6 fps on my high
end machines.  It drops to 1 fps for your last
demo.  It might be worth investigating if any
of the procedures can take advantage of Intel
or AMD vector instructions.  Also curious
about dual processor machines.

Soundwise, has anybody worked on porting the
Soundblaster code from Native Oberon to
BlueBottle?  I know BlueBottle supports some
specific cards, but I think this would greatly
increase the options.

Regards,

John M. Drake