[Oberon] Coping with Word documents

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 00:12:51 CET 2005

--- Jack Johnson <knapjack at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:09:27 +0100 (MET),
> easlab at absamail.co.za
> <easlab at absamail.co.za> wrote:
> > Yes, coping with Word documents is as essential as
> coping with
> > flu-virus or taxes.
>
> Though you can never really avoid getting them, it
> would be nice to
> have some kind of alternative for interacting with
> users of other
> systems: RTF, PDF, OpenDocument...
>
> I suspect if one were willing to forego complete
> formatting
> compatibility, it might not be so hard to convert
> either RTF or
> OpenDocument to Oberon Text.
>
> -Jack

I've looked at RTF before, and I don't think it
would be hard to implement.  On the other hand
you could always have someone save a Word file
has HTML 3.0 and open under Oberon.  Sure you'll
lose out on many formmatting issues, but that
will happen with RTF too.

I haven't looked at OpenDocument.  I know that
OpenOffice supports an XML format (as well as
Word and many other formats).  Is that
OpenDocument?  BlueBottle can save documents
as XML or Oberon Text.

I don't see PDF as a realistic probability
because it's proprietary.  A Postscript viewer
for Oberon should be doable.

Regards,

John M. Drake