[Oberon] n-o PPP modifications

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Wed Feb 23 00:07:18 CET 2005

Hello Chris,

cg> pete...pe at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca

Thanks.  An update of PPPnotes is overdue.
The address is now shark at gulfnet dot sd64.bc.ca.
You are welcome to communicate directly.

cg> ... address [or even acknowledge] my perceived problem of difficulty
re-dialing when the previous call was aborted unexpectedly.

I have not tackled that problem yet.

cg> ... NetSystem.Mod ...

As long as the format of the account parameters,
userid and password, are not changed, the PPP
modules should not be disturbed.

cg> ... not able to log-in.

Please run with PPPTest.LogOn and check the values
of userid and password transmitted in PAP.  Are they
correct?

cg> ... want to know if your code even intends to fix
the 'FSM doesn't reset' problem, described above.

Certainly I am willing to work on the problem.

How do, and how should, the peers detect the abnormal
severing of a connection?  Seems that either you need a
"heartbeat" signal or else assume that the connection
is gone if there is no signal for an arbitrary time.
I don't recall how this is addressed in the protocol
and what is implemented in Oberon.  Will be happy to
publish any satisfactory solution that I can implement
and test.

Regards,            Peter E.
        http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/