[Oberon] Oberon-V?

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 04:38:01 CET 2005

--- Felix Friedrich <friedrich at gsf.de> wrote:

> Hi John, Hi Jack,
>
> I'd be also very interested to see Oberon-V like
> extensions in
> (Win)Aos/Bluebottle. In fact, the vector operations
> of CAPO, for
> example, do suffer (w.r.t. speed) exactly from not
> having fast operator
> overloading and fast array access in other
> dimensions than 1. I have
> tried to circumvent these problems by doing a lot of
> access routines in
> assembler, but the calling overhead for procedures
> is too time consuming
> in the end. I do know that some other people have
> the same concerns.
>
> Felix.

Hello Felix,

I've been thinking about this for a while, and
I'm having a hard time picturing what you are
attempting to do.  When I think of vector math
I think of things like "add 1000 elements of
array1 to 1000 elements of array2".  Such
operations should not require any procedure
overhead beyond the initial procedure call.

Also, with respect to fast array access for
dimensions higher than 1, have you looked
at the MultiArray package?

http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/software/MultiArrays.html

Regards,

John M. Drake