[Oberon] Re (3): n-o PPP modifications

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Mar 13 17:50:38 CET 2005

Bob Walkden wrote:

>>The 'least work' way to do that is probably with a *BSD or Linux
>>install on any old box 386 or newer, as both have the utilities to
>>act as ISP dial-in hosts.
>

> I haven't followed this thread, so please forgive me if I've missed
> something (and I'm dredging my memory from the late 80s). Wouldn't it
> be even easier to put the serial line into local loopback mode? That
> way you don't need a null modem or a 2nd machine.

Depends on the OS and the hardware.

On UNIX, or OS/2, certainly.  Quite ready to 'talk to themselves'.

With many modems, NTE devices, possibly.
With a CO simulator and/or Protocol Analyzer ...   etc.

But on Aos / Bluebottle?  Simply not known to me.

Not sure where the correspondent PPP protocol and handshake
is to come from.

I also don't know how much telco / test expertise is available
to the tester in Zaire, my butt-in set and 'scope is 12,000 miles
away right now... and I am up to my own 'butt in DragonFly..

A second modem, 9V battery and snap-connector, OTOH...  ;-)

Bill