[Oberon] Installing Native Oberon

Jacques Eloff eloff at cs.sun.ac.za
Wed Apr 13 04:02:07 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 09:45 am, Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm new to Oberon.
> I've read the manuals.
> I'm trying to install Native Oberon.
> First I tried to install Bluebottle but all attempts failed.
> Now I'm trying to install Native Oberon.
> The process associated with floppy 0 seemingly completes, but then the
> machine does not boot from the hard disk.
> The hard disk has an old installation of Linux (Debian) with LILO.
> The LILO prompt continues to show, and starts Linux, even though I have
> deleted the partition before installing Oberon!
> To delete the partition I'm using a Linux live CD (Gentoo) and fdisk.
> What am I missing?
> I want to install Native Oberon exclusively on this machine, no LILO.
> How do I get rid of LILO?
One of the installation options should offer you the chance to place the
Oberon bootstrap loader (OBL) on the MBR - this should remove LILO. The
alternatives are to simply add the Oberon partition to /etc/fstab or to boot
from a floppy. I have not done any Native installations recently, but recall
that there was a problem if the partition was located beyound the 8G limit.
> Do I have to erase the old Linux installation? How?
No. During the installtion a viewer marked Partition.Tool should be open. It
contains a number of commands that can be executed by clicking with the
middle mouse button on them. You can also open it by typing Partition.Tool in
any of the open viewers and interclicking with Middle-Right on it.
> The machine has a dual Pentium.
The dual shouldn't be a problem. Bluebottle supports SMP (I think around 4
CPUs, but Native will only use one

--
Jacques Eloff
Department of Computer Science