[Oberon] Installing Native Oberon

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Apr 13 13:52:09 CEST 2005

Marius Amado Alves wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2005, at 00:55, Jack Johnson wrote:
>
>> ...I have nothing against Native Oberon, but I highly recommend
>> Bluebottle...
>

> Yes, it was my first choice, I only switched to Native because the CDs
> didn't work. But as it seems Native has installation problems too, I
> think I'll now try to solve Bluebottle's first. I'll try your triage
> suggestions and cdrecord, thanks a lot.

Mac OS X, latest upgrades, on 17" Powerbook burned a usable ISO
from the most recent two Bluebottle releases (that are available as ISO's)
using Disk Manager.  If iso is tarred/gz/bzipped, it must first be unpacked.

Target box 500 MHZ AMD K6-2+, 512 MB SDRAM, 19+GB IBM Deathstar
previously split into two slices with FreeBSD.

The 'low' slice was given to Bluebottle, the high one to VectorLinux,
with LILO *inside* the Linux partition (IOW, FreeBSD MBR bootloader
first, then
either directly into Bluebottle or to LILO=> VectorLinux.

DragonFlyBSD and ForthOS have also run on that box.

FreeBSD tools for managing the disk 'coz I am most familiar with
those or OS/2's LVM & bootloader (as also used by early PartitionMagic).

One caveat:  Machine has an 'embedded' VGA, Trident Cyber-Blade 9XXX
equivalent.
Adjustable in BIOS to have anywhere from 2MB to 8 MB shared memory, and
8 Mb to
64 MB 'AGP window'.

Bluebottle video only worked with the 2 MB/8MB settings, gave clean and
stable video,
but rendered garbage otherwise.

> (Is this the right list for Bluebottle?)

AFAIK, there is no other....

HTH,

Bill Hacker