[Oberon] WinAos 2.00

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 00:04:33 CEST 2005

--- Felix Friedrich <friedrich at gsf.de> wrote:
> WinAos version 2.00a with a completely revised
> kernel is now available for
> download at http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/WinAos
>
> bug reports, tips, hints and feedback to this list
> or friedrich at gsf.de
>
> Felix.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

First the good.
===================
With this version TCP/IP works
on my Win2K machine.  For some strange reason
previous versions would not (although they would
work on WinXP and WinME.)

The bad.
===================
For some strange reason the Menu won't come up.

I click on the command:

Configuration.DoCommands
Aos.Call Win32AosDisplay.Install 1280 1024 ~ (* open
display *)
Aos.Call WindowManager.Install  ~ (* Install window
manager *)
Aos.Call SkinEngine.Load winxp.skin
Aos.Call MainMenu.Open ~

The culprit seems to be "MainMenu.Open".  It just
doesn't do anything.

The ugly
===================
What happened to the Oberon apps such as Leonardo?
They worked fine in version 1.02 (even if
installation was a bit painful due to a wierd
problem in Packages) but by 1.08 they were missing.
I tried copying them over to 1.08 and 2.00 but
now Packages "traps" when I try to install
anything.  For me Leonardo is the Oberon
"killer ap".  It's the one pre-installed ap
that I consistently am able to use for actual
work.

Incidently, Leonardo doesn't work under the
latest version of BlueBottle either.  It
starts to work, but then "traps" out.

Regards,

John M. Drake