[Oberon] WinAos 2.00

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Wed May 4 10:51:09 CEST 2005

>What happened to the Oberon apps such as Leonardo?
>They worked fine in version 1.02 (even if
>installation was a bit painful due to a wierd
>problem in Packages) but by 1.08 they were missing.
>I tried copying them over to 1.08 and 2.00 but
>now Packages "traps" when I try to install
>anything.  For me Leonardo is the Oberon
>"killer ap".  It's the one pre-installed ap
>that I consistently am able to use for actual
>work.

Leonardo is compiled in the current WinAos2.00 release as are all standard
Oberon applications since they are part of the bluebottle release. WinAos
is the trial to port Bluebottle to Windows without loosing the "seemless
integration" functionality. So, all Oberon packages that are running under
Bluebottle should also run in WinAos. Nearly all Aos applications should
also run in Bluebottle. Exceptions are "packages" that make use of
low-level system parts (such as, for example, TCP tracing, profiling etc.)

What is missing are documents like Lenoardo.Panel etc.
Solution: Get AosOberonApps1.zip from the bluebottle server:
http://www.bluebottle.ethz.ch/downloads/crazy/AosOberonApps1.zip
Copy all non-OBX files from this archive to your WinAos-Work-directory and
Leonardo is working fine (at least on my computer ..)

I'll incorporate all missing files in the next release.

Generally speaking: use of packages is deprecated in WinAos at the moment.
I did not have enough time to repair everything. Constructing and debugging
(parts of) the kernel has been a full time job.

Felix.