[Oberon] newbie questions about oberon and bluebottle

jan verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Wed May 25 21:51:16 CEST 2005

I couldn't resist the temptation....

Op Wednesday 25 May 2005 12:17 schreef Smoke Bellew:

 > 1. is oberon language different from other modern object pascal
 > languages(fpk,delphi)?

yes.

 > What is they differences except syntaxis

It is simpler and hence more powerful.

Check out http://www.oberon.ethz.ch

 > I know about xds compiler and ooc2 (optimising oberon compiler).

XDS does not supply sources for the standard modules, so you will not learn
anything from it.

 > 4. Is there any IDE for Linux?

Yes. There are several.

 > 5. What means Native Oberon?

Oberon which runs as operating system, as opposed to Oberon that runs as a
task or process in Linux.

 > I have downloaded and installed Oberon for Linux (x86)  version 2.3.8
 > and didn't yet realize what is it -  simply Oberon System emulated in
 > Linux?

Yes.

 > And for what I need it?

Learning and filling your harddisk.

 > BTW, it is freezed all my system (fedora core 3) when I close the
 > oberon window and force me to reboot.

It works perfectly well with any Slackware and any Knoppix.

 > 6. Which is BlueBottle and Oberon System differences?

What is the difference between Windows XP and Windows 95?

 > 7. Is it possible to replace BlueBottle gui with other?

Of course. You have the source, so you can make your own.

 > Just like in Linux you have to choice between many de and wm's.
 > May be I'd like to write my own gui.

When will it be ready?

 > 13. How to use LILO or GRUB for configure multiboot linux/Bluebottle?

Just edit the lilo.conf file as follows:

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
lba32
prompt
timeout = 30
change-rules
  reset
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
# ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image="/boot/vmlinuz"
	root  = "/dev/hda3"
	label = "linux"
	read-only
	# Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1
        label = "OberonBeta"
	table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda6
        label = "Bluebottle"
	table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

Act as if it is a DOS partition.

 > 18. I didn't understand yet how to install BlueBottle.
 > Just copy all files from cd to one partition and make it bootable ?

Follow instructions in AosInst.Tool

 > 19. Where is located system files, libs, executables?

All in one directory.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten

Jan Verhoeven