[Oberon] newbie questions about oberon and bluebottle

Smoke Bellew smoke.bellew at gmail.com
Fri May 27 09:58:18 CEST 2005

Thanks to all for Your answers.

>  > What is they differences except syntaxis
> It is simpler and hence more powerful.

For instance, how can I make system calls (or libc calls) with oberon?
With freepascal I am used to use exec family functions, popen's, fork's.
So, is unix system progrmming possible with oberon?
And in the other hand is it possible to write programs on another
language for BlueBottle?

>  > I know about xds compiler and ooc2 (optimising oberon compiler).
>
> XDS does not supply sources for the standard modules, so you will not learn
> anything from it.
I downloaded ooc2 - and I doesn't like it because it is written in c
and in fact it is only oberon to c translator.
As far as I understand xds compiler just the same - written in C.
I have noticed there x-windows programming libs...
But doesn't yet tested compiler.
xds compiler is proprietary and noone knows what will be in the future.
Simply they can stop development because of lack of orders or
something like that.
I'll prefer to find something open-source but didn't found yet.
So, all suggestations are welcome.

>  > 4. Is there any IDE for Linux?
>
> Yes. There are several.
Dodn't find even one.
Please, give me a link.

>  > 7. Is it possible to replace BlueBottle gui with other?

> Of course. You have the source, so you can make your own.

>  > Just like in Linux you have to choice between many de and wm's.
>  > May be I'd like to write my own gui.
>
> When will it be ready?

When I'll understand system.
I even can't install it because of following reasons:
first problem
I can't find out is there any terminal
When I wrote  Desktops.OpenDoc CD:AosInst.Tool ~ in the notepad, I
can't start the command using mouse middle click, because it doesn't
catch parameters, only 'Desktops.OpenDoc' are executed.
So, I run it from the Oberon inside the bluebottle.
Then if I executed Desktops.OpenDoc CD:AosInst.Tool ~ from Oberon...
then yes, I' have documentation.
I did it many times, but then
Partitions.GetConfig IDE0#00 or Partitions.GetConfig IDE0#01 doesn't
show me error message in System.Log but doesn't seems to work!
How do I know that my commands executed?
With some partition graphic tools I am able to view my partitions. But
didn't realize what should I write if I only creted one 1 gb partition
- IDE0#00 or IDE0#01 ?
Then I do
!PArtitions.UpdateBootLoader IDE0#00 OBL.Bin
nothing happens
then
Partitions.Show
Disk: IDE0, 1024MB, VMWare Virtual IDE hard drive
IDE0#00 1024MB --- (whole disk)
IDE0#01 1023MB  14 * DOS FAT16 LBA
(when I realize that can do nothing with graphical partitioning tool I
created partitions with fdisk and formatted them fat16)
Disk2: IDE2, 72MB, removable, VMWare virtual IDE cdrom drive
IDE2#00 72MB --- (Whole Disk)
Then I do
Partitions.ChangeType IDE0#00 from 76 ~
'Expected parameters Oldtype newtype' appeared in
system.log
So, I can not do anything then again and because of that I made answer
about installing.