[Oberon] newbie questions about oberon and bluebottle

jan verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Fri May 27 21:46:38 CEST 2005

Op Friday 27 May 2005 09:58 schreef Smoke Bellew:

 > So, is unix system progrmming possible with oberon?

Only if you run one of the Linux Native Oberon flavours. There are two. One
from Switzerland and one from the university of Linz. I prefer the one from
Switzerland.

 > As far as I understand xds compiler just the same - written in C.

XDS s famous for its '.h' to '.def' translator. So it is mainly C function
calls in a Modula-2 jacket.

 > I have noticed there x-windows programming libs...

There are other libs as well. I found a complete rewrite of Xlibn functions
into Modula-2. See it at:

	http://thunder.prohosting.com/~ccastle/XModula/

It uses the Mocka compiler which is freely availabole and has the sources
of the libraries published..

 > xds compiler is proprietary and noone knows what will be in the future.

They have made the compiler freeware. No further development due to very
low demand.

 > Simply they can stop development because of lack of orders or
 > something like that.

They did.

 > I'll prefer to find something open-source but didn't found yet.
 > So, all suggestations are welcome.

I am very satisfied with the Mocka Modula-2 compiler.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten

Jan Verhoeven
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl