[Oberon] Re: A query about Oberon and PICs

Aubrey McIntosh mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Sat Jun 25 03:39:14 CEST 2005

Hi Les

I'd be glad to help you try to get Bluebottle going in your environment.  I
think it would be better overall to do it on the Bluebottle list, so that
it is archived, it will help others, and if I say something stupid someone
else can speak up before you lose too much time.

The list details are:

         <mailto:oberon-request at lists.inf.ethz.ch?subject=subscribe>

Bluebottle machines seem to fall into two categories:  They boot
immediately with no need for help, or they are truly difficult.  I have
both kinds of machines in my home lab.  There also seem to be some troubles
with people who try to boot from a Linux system, but have some or other
detail on their MBR not quite compatible.  As I know next to nothing about
Linux, I didn't remember much about these situations.  Also, it seems that
everyone has their favorite Boot Manager and they don't like to receive
advice recommending another one.

I recommend trying these situations in this order:

1.  Boot from the Crazy-Fresh CD image.  This almost always goes ok, and
doesn't modify your hard disk at all.  Some of the applications are zipped
up and not available for use.  From power up to operational is only about
45 seconds.  This environment lets you do some diagnostics and install to a
more permanent environment.  If you have DHCP support on your network, you
will also be network-alive as soon as you are booted.  You can use the RAM:
volume as scratch, mount a diskette, or mount a USB device (I have mounted
a Fuji Finepix 2800 camera )

I don't remember if you can send and receive email (via Oberon) directly
from the CD boot, or if there is another small amount of installation to be
done.  But you are very close to being able to capture diagnostics and
communicate from the CD environment, and if you have it working on Native
Oberon, you can set it up easily.

2.  If your firmware supports boot from a USB flash disk, install the
system there next.  With a lot of effort, I have produced an image that
boots and is useable from a 4 MB USB/CF image.  However, it is inexpensive
to get a 128 MB or larger CF today.  Bluebottle installs comfortably in a
128 Mb partition, and additional partitions can be mounted (Bluebottle has
moved back to a lot of Unix like concepts that Oberon abandoned 15 years ago.)

So far, I have not destroyed an installed system using Bluebottle, and I
have used it to recover a destroyed NT disk.  However, I have to say that
is prudent to disconnect your Linux HD until you are sure that you have
mastery on the partition scheme in both Bluebottle and Linux.  (My Windows
2000 system has a large and valuable windows partition that Bluebottle
shows an "available to allocate" space.)

You can also use a boot floppy to boot from a USB partition, if your
firmware will not support the USB boot.

3.  When this is tuned as you like it, then deal with the HD installation
itself.

At 04:19 PM 6/24/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Aubrey,
>
>Searching for how to get hold of a copy of the book 'Project Oberon' I
>came across your posting on using Oberon (Bluebottle) to cross compile for
>PICs.
>
>I have Native Oberon System 3 running on one of my machines and am a big
>fan of Oberon. We seem to be quite rare! An e-mail friend who like me is
>interested in Oberon is at:
>
>http://www.verhoeven272.nl
>
>There are a couple of Oberon pages. I have contributed a bit about some
>Oberon books and we have helped each other with getting our systems up and
>running.
>
>If you can tell me anything about setting up Bluebottle I would be very
>grateful. I would probably want to put it on the second hard drive of my
>Linux machine, i.e. hdc or D: as Windows would call it, and would like to
>boot it via a floppy.
>
>Have you managed to write an Oberon compiler for PIC? If you have I am
>sure Jan who runs the above web site would be very interested in giving it
>some publicity on the web site.

I don't have anything of merit on the PIC compiler.  I'm at that stage
where I think the implementation path I chose (modifying Oberon0) is all
wrong, and I should have used a different approach (working on Franz's
translating loader, or using OFront and a PIC C compiler.)