[Oberon] Occasional data transfer between boxes ?

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Wed Aug 10 20:03:13 CEST 2005

Chris,

cg> ... transfering data ...

I have a similar interest.

Last week I installed an Adaptec AHA-2940 and a
SCSI Zip drive on the machine at work.  At home I
installed an ATA Zip drive.

The system with SCSI is trapping on the order of 10%
of attempted file stores.  Ie. more that 1% and less
than 100% of store attempts fail.  Every attempt to
shrink MailMessages has failed.  This device is not
useable.  This is the head of one of the traps.

TRAP 17  Disk error (PC Native 05.01.2003)
OFSDiskVolumes.PutBlock  PC = 742
	adr = 13210
	blk = /, /, /, /, /, /, /, / ...
	dadr = 106767
	dev =  001A5A60H
	res = 22
	vol =  001BADA0H
OFSAosFiles.PutSector  PC = 212

The system with the ATA Zip has not been tested
enough to detect such failure.  Will post an update
in a week or two.

Edgar commented recently,
es> Bluebottle works with USB sticks.

At Thu Jul 21 22:52:15 2005 Josef commented,
js> On the other hand I could observe that sometimes
while copying many files - about 100 MB - the copying
stopped without any message.

Yikes!

Sven confirmed,
ss> There are still issues concering the USB system.
ss> I will continue to work on it.

So USB storage is fine for experimentation but
not yet reliable enough for routine use.

So Chris, the current situation is this.  An ftp
server can be used by both Native Oberon and DOS
clients.  I have used NetPresenz on MacOS and Linux
ftp servers for years.  Desktops.OpenDoc
ftp://<user@host> is convenient.

A removable fixed disk is still the only portable
medium which is really solid.  These things are
inexpensive thanks to USB.  Froogle and eBay for
"removable drive tray", "hot swap drive tray" & etc.

Oberon with a removable drive is better than Windows
with USB?  Well, Newton and Einstein did their work
with neither.  =8~))

Regards,          ... Peter

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/