[Oberon] Re (2): LinAos

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Fri Sep 2 15:19:48 CEST 2005

Edgar wrote:-
> I had a look at http://nativeoberon.sourceforge.net/
> So I would just use this existing project. I wanted to register with
> Sourceforge but it didn't work just now. I will try again.
> Then I guess Pieter will have to accept me as a developer :-)
>
> > It shouldn't be too much work to get Aos working on Linux.  For LNO
> > just a few modules had to be changed (5 or so).  The linker was
> > modified to produce Linux executables.  No compiler changes were
> > necessary.
>
> I also remembered that there were only small changes.
>
> > Does anyone know how to contact Peter Matthias?
>
> It looks like he disappeared. The mail address given seems to be invalid.
> But as I see it the code isn't too complex to understand.

I'd like to read how the 'n-o look & feel' is acheived.
And does the fact that n-o drivers are written in funny-asm matter ?
How/if the whole issue of 'linking n-o executables' is/if handled ?

> BTW, does anybody have a running LNO ? I tried to install one last year
> with 2 different Linux distributions but it didn't work :-(
> Be careful: I mean especially the Oberon made by Peter Matthias running
> on Intel.
> Not any other NO running on a Linux.
> And if you have one I would be interested in the Linux you use.

I've got V2.3.6.
I've read about V2.3.7.
I've run it on RedHat6.2 and perhaps Mandrake9 and an old Slakware.
It never occured to me that the Linux distribution mattered.

Oh yes, I seem to remember that Mandrake9 LNO didn't run ?
Unfortunately X-setup alone, is a can-of-worms !
Fortunately I've got all logs  -- painfull to re-read.
I can help alpha-testing & documenting [line-len =< 67]
  and Soren can do the spell-checking.

== Chris Glur.