[Oberon] ATAPI Zip drive; was "Occasional data transfer between boxes ?"

shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca shark at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Wed Sep 14 00:24:43 CEST 2005

At Thu Aug 11 09:22:14 2005 Chris said,
Will anyone want to invest time developing software for
redundant [Zip drive] hardware ?

Since that discussion, an ATAPI 100 MB Zip disk
has served as a portable workspace with zero errors.

It elliminates the need to move files over the net
and reconcile various copies.  Saves me at least a
few hours each week.  Having all working files
immediately available is a great benefit.

The only problem evident is the minor one of needing
two Mount commands in Oberon.Text.  Seems to be a
minor idiosyncrasy of the Zip drive with no serious
consequence.

The SCSI Zip drive tested earlier works well in a
Macintosh.  Therefore the problem must have been with
Adaptec card or more likely with the Adaptec7 driver.

As far as I know, Adaptec7 is still considered viable.
I do not understand the driver well enough to trouble
-shoot but can cooperate with anyone interested.

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/