[Oberon] Re. ATAPI Zip drive;

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Thu Sep 15 18:57:12 CEST 2005

Peter wrote:
> Yes NO(Native Oberon).
>
> The drive connnects to the ribbon cable and works
> just as a fixed disk except for some longer delays.
>
> The driver is ATADisks.Mod.  With a recent enough
> release you will see ATAPI mentioned in the history
> comments.  Compliments to the authors for good work!

OK, since it's "ATAPI" it follows the appropriate protocol,
even if it's made out of banana skins.

> cg> IMO only the 'parallel port' version is relevant for
> moving data between boxes.
>
> AFAIK NO does not support parallel port Zip.

As stated, I see no advantage in Zip if it has to plug into the
"IDE" cable.  I already move my IDE hard-disks and the
CDrom that way between boxes.  I was hoping to get a bit
more civilised; like if I go to the library or to 'normal'
people [who have a wintel box from Walmart] how can I
get data to bring to my mess ?

> cg> ... poor hardware reliability.
>
> Unlikely considering that the SCSI Zip was error
> free in the Mac.

No, that's the illusion that software can create.
You wouldn't know if it had to read 3 times to get the
correct data.   Like the internet, because it eventually
pops-out error free, that doesn't mean there were
no errors encountered on the way.

You get systems that are designed only for 'fair weather',
like the dialer/ppp is fine provided my ISP logs-me-in
before NO times out.  So also there's no reason that if
fd0 sees errors you shouldn't be able to try again and
if necessary replace the diskette and carry on.

== Chris Glur.