Re (2): [Oberon] LNO/LBB Object code

edgar at edgarschwarz.de edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Sat Sep 17 17:10:00 CEST 2005

Peter Matthias <PeterMatthias at web.de> schrieb:
> LNO and NO already use the same Object code! ELF format is only needed to
> start the statically linked inner core of Oberon.
That's a great feature for porting. No compiler changes, ....

> > So my question is whether there are any obvious problems concerning
> > perhaps:
> > - Changed object format from NO to BB ?
> > - Compiler.Compile -> PC.Compile ?
> > - Any other caveats ?
> The question is whether NO and BB use the same (or at least compatible) ABI.
Any comments to this from ETH, Pieter, Patrik ?
In the end my question is:
Is it possible to use the LNO strategy also for a Linux Bluebottle ?
Which means:
- Taking a running Bluebottle on a machine where there is also a Linux.
- Create a Linux version of a "statically linked inner core of Bluebottle".
- Convert it to ELF with the existing ElfLinker.Mod
- And we are done :-)

> > Perhaps this could even easier than using SDL (http:// www.libsdl.org).
> > Or perhaps SDL would even match with the LNO concept ?
> I think SDL is only source code compatible, not binary...
So I would go for the binary compatibility for now if possible.

Cheers, Edgar