[Oberon] Restrictions of Oberon-Partitions?

Thomas Frey thomas.frey at alumni.ethz.ch
Sun Nov 13 23:57:22 CET 2005

> I got a new computer with two S-ATA and one P-ATA drives.
> Although chances are not too big that Bluebottle will run on
> this device (AMD64 X2 dual core CPU, nvidia 7800GTX graphic
> card) I will reserve at least one partition for Bluebottle on
> the P-ATA drive. (I think S-ATA will not work with Oberon)

I have an alike AMD64 X2 System. (Gigabyte K8 Triton board).
Bluebottle runs when I limit the maximal number of processors to 1
(MaxProcs=1 in the boot config) and boot via CD. There is a BIOS
problem when trying to boot from the harddisk. As soon as the
Bluebottle kernel is loaded the harddisk becomes accessible.
It would be interesting to know if you can boot with both processors enabled.

> Are there still limitations about the maximum size or location of
> partitions used for Bluebottle, AOS and ETH Native Oberon?
There is a maximum harddisk size limit (28bit * 512 = 134GB ?) for the
ATAPI driver, the partition limits are gone. With Disks > 134GB? the
partition needs to be completely before the limit. Before I left ETH
there was some student work going on for a new SATA driver without
this limit, but i cannot guess the progress.

--Thomas